It’s been a while since I did a GIStemp posting. Partly as Hansen had become such a bad joke it wasn’t worth it. Partly as the focus had moved to the upstream data diddling, what with GHCN V3 being significantly “warmer” than Version 1 had been.
But I have a new toy, the Raspberry Pi, and I wanted to play with it. See what it could do… Could it, in fact, compile and run GIStemp?
Now if planning to do a new port, it is worth it to start with a fresh copy of the code, so I went to NASA and downloaded the source code from the approved link:
It all looked rather familiar, and I didn’t think much of it. The unpacking went well, as did the set-up of a file system for it ( it fits nicely on a 2 GB SD card ;-) I looked up my “Make File” posting and proceeded to type it in again, by hand. (Why? Well, to check for any “differences” with the “new” GIStmp that runs on GHCN Version 3, of course…
It went fairly well. Nothing seemed changed, so I figured it must be the same names, but maybe different ‘insides’ for V3…
A couple of test compiles showed the FORTRAN compiler (gfortran) was much more accepting. The prior issue of making assignments during the type declaration didn’t present a problem, and all the modules compiled without needing to pay attention to F77 vs F95 nearly so much.
Fortran is quite fast on the Raspberry Pi with a 30 Mb/second SD chip!
I managed to have “make” compile all the FORTRAN to binaries. I even test ran a few of them and they worked fine. So next I put the GHCN data where it belonged (but noted that the code still talked about V2… but, I thought, maybe they just didn’t want to change all the file names from V2 to V3 and change the program names and change…) So I put a copy of the V3 GHCN data in the “v2.mean” input file (where it always had been put), and told it to run…
Several steps using USHCN ran fine. Then, on the first step that reads in GHCN, it tossed it’s cookies with a Format Error in the data stream.
Looking more closely, the code looked VERY familiar. It looked like it was just the old V2 code still. So I “checked it out”, and no, I didn’t have an old copy, it was a fresh download. I’ve only had the cards a couple of months, and the data and software were direct downloads to it. Date stamp on the tar archive on my card is May 16, 2013. So the download was just 3 days ago. Just to be sure, I did a ‘tar -xvf GISTEMP.sources.tar’ and captured the date stamps on the files IN that archive. (The command ‘tar’ is the Tape ARchiver. X is extract, while V says be verbose about it and F says get the archive from this file).
Here’s a screen capture. This is Step0 where the initial data unload and mix is done. If any V3 changes were made, it ought to show here:
You ought to be able to click on that to ’embiggen’ in and read the dates. It’s mostly 2009 and 2010. The newest data stamp in it is 2011 for one bit of code not related to GHCN.
What’s The Deal?
So I’m realizing this is the same old Version 2 software. But if you go to NCDC to download the Version 2 data to use with it (as I was mostly interested in testing the Raspberri Pi so figured I’d give up on V3) you find out that GHCN Version 2 temperature data is now gone.
grid 5/15/2013 4:00:00 PM
source 12/23/2010 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.country.codes 11 KB 1/25/2002 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.max.Z 6010 KB 2/7/2012 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.prcp.Z 25445 KB 5/18/2013 5:00:00 AM
File:v2.prcp.failed.qc.Z 163 KB 5/18/2013 5:00:00 AM
File:v2.prcp.inv 1267 KB 1/25/2002 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.prcp.readme 4 KB 9/27/2011 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.prcp_adj.Z 5357 KB 5/18/2013 5:00:00 AM
File:v2.read.data.f 11 KB 12/14/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.read.inv.f 3 KB 12/14/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:v2.slp.country.codes 11 KB 10/3/2002 12:00:00 AM
The precipitation data is still there, along with the MAX temperatures, but MIN and average are gone.
OK, I’ve got a few copies of the old V2 “squirreled away” and can get them unpacked in a few days to finish my Raspberry Pi testing. But that’s not the point… (Well, it is for me, but there’s a bigger point…)
Are we not supposed to have access to both the data AND the software being used to pronounce this yet again “The Hottest Ever!!!”
(even as snow covers the UK and Canada… )?
This is just so broken.
They claim to be running GIStemp with Version 3 GHCN data at their web site.
But are they? Is “Trust me.” good enough from the government?
Record high global temperature during the period with instrumental data was reached in 2010. After that paper appeared, version 3 of the GHCN data became available. The current analysis is now based on the adjusted GHCN v3 data for the data over land.
Are they hiding what they are doing? Preventing a proper software audit? Normally I’d attribute to just being busy with other stuff, and what with Hansen being on the skids nobody really caring about “his software” anymore. But in light of nefarious things with the: Associated Press, State Department / Benghazi, EPA, and even IRS being politicized; well, lets just say that it sure looks like “assume the worst” and you get closer…
At this point, I don’t know if I ought to be upset that there is no GHCN Version 3 code to validate / check; or be happy that now with Hansen out of the picture his “products” are being allowed to die on the vine. I’m all for just ’round filing’ GIStemp and calling it broken history. But I’m not willing to accept having it run, claiming “Hottest Ever!!!” and no way to audit the thing to see what was changed.
As of now, GIStemp is a black box with no utility as it is unverifiable.