I’m a bit astounded at the polite “milling about” by Ms. May and the UK Government in general on the whole BREXIT deal.
They seem to think they are negotiating how much tea ought to be poured into each cup and which biscuits are desired on each plate at the afternoon tea with good chums.
Er, no. Dear Ms. May, you are in a combat for your life with a pack of wolves. Run, do not walk, to the EXIT as fast as you possibly can. Do not stop to say good-bye. Do not slow near the flowers, they are for your funeral.
Let’s take just a moment to look at a couple of the “demands” of the EU Government as the terms for your parole:
2) Please hand the keys to Gibraltar over to Spain on your way out; there, that’s a dear…
3) Ooooh, Mommy, can I have Scotland!!! Seems that the EU would also like to start hiving off slabs of the UK for their own pleasure. Scotland first, but then there’s North Ireland too. (One supposes they’ll be looking for Cornwall and Wales next ( Isle of Man and Jersey once those others are in the bag…))
4) You don’t get any say in things as long as “negotiations” (i.e. chopping off bits of lucre) are underway; having been barred from EU meetings.
5) Any “Trade Deal” is to be held hostage until you pony up EVERYTHING else they want.
6) You are to be Muzzled and may not talk to others about trade. Shut up and bend over. There is a term for folks who muzzle others and have their way with them while bent over. Whips and chains optional. There’s a reason the 3rd Reich theme Leathers, Riding Crop, and Hat are the costume du jour for such things…
7) All those stupid and painful EU rules, laws, and regulations you wish to escape? Well, you are going to drag those with you for God only knows how many decades.
8) The EU’s “Court of Justice” will be the one ruling on things during this exit time. Like they give a damn about UK interests.
Now think about that list for just a moment.
What kind of “partner” acts that way. An abusive spouse comes to mind. One with a penchant for masochism and angry outbursts. What is the advice always given to women in such relationships? (Though it is as important for men who sometimes end up in similar abusive relationships)
The standard advice is to Get The Hell Out! Now! Do not wait to “talk it over” (emergency room visits are not desired). Do not expect the spouse to change. Do not say “What did I do to cause this?”. Just grab your kids, the purse and GO.
Once the spouse has realized that a) They are hungry and must learn how to cook. b) They are not ‘getting any’. and c) That paycheck of yours left with you. Well, THAT is the time to “negotiate” over things like letting them see the kids. (You DID take the kids with you, right?…) At that time you have your solicitor and a nice Bobby show up to “discuss things”.
Yes, it is disruptive to be suddenly in a hotel, or at your sister’s home. But the alternative is worse.
Worst of all is spending the next 2 years trying to “change him” or “negotiate” with a psychopath, being abused the whole time, and THEN end up on the street anyway but now with the kids gone, your stuff burned, your job lost and hurting from the physical assaults.
So please: While he’s off having his Parliament Meeting and boozing it up with his chums, pack your bags, round up the kids, and BOLT for the exit. You have friends who are there for you. We understand and we’ll help with the hurts.
I know you want to think they are the nice guy you remember from when you were dating, but please, be honest with yourself. Just look at what is demanded. Is that the action of a friend? (It certainly isn’t the action of a soul mate, or even a good spouse, so even setting the sights low at The Friend Zone it comes up lacking). So let yourself realize “It’s Over”. Time to move on, and time is of the essence.
The simple fact is that the EU is about 15% of global trade. They have painful rules to cope with and their trade imbalance with the UK means any trade barriers they toss up will hurt them most. It is a big world, full of old friends and new ones in the making.
THE best strategy when in that kind of circumstance is to “bargain from power”. What is your strongest position. That comes when THEY are feeling the hurt, not you. That happens when THEY are outside the UK Free Trade Zone ;-) So put them there as quickly as humanly possible, THEN ask if they want to negotiate.