Do NOT feed Brie Cheese to Dogs!

A couple of days ago, I had a Brie wheel of cheese. I’d slice the sides off of a wedge, and leave the “rim” on. Then chew down to the rim. Then eat the rim. The surface is basically a mold mat of mycelium.

It has a musty and a bit tangier tasted compared to the gooey cheese bits. I tend to eat about 1/2 the “rind” for that special and different character. But humans are closer to rabbits and rodents than to dogs. For example, humans and bunnies can both eat onions. To most other classes of animal, they are toxic. So you don’t feed onions to dogs.

It would seem this extends to Brie Rind as well.

So, OK, a couple of days ago I had an meal with Brie:

https://chiefio.wordpress.com/2021/05/28/friends-of-australia-friday-deviled-eggs-brie-chops-pinot-grigio/

While cooking, the dogs were begging for some of “the good stuff”. As I was eating the Brie rind, I offered some to the dogs. The “Malty-Poo” took a fingernail sized bit, then spit it out. The Dachshund, who wolfs all her food and eats anything, ate it. I gave her more. And more.

Next day, Dachshund is not well. About 36 hours of not eating, having constipation, being “rummy”, not drinking, walking with disturbed gate, falling down, etc. I take an eye-dropper and squirt water into her mouth.

She does drink it (with a certain confused, defocused, and disoriented look).

Well, today she is once again eating and drinking on her own as usual. One “Big Poo” (after a day or so of acting constipated) followed by a very wet runny poo, and then a couple of hours, and she is once again herself.

No, I have no idea what in Brie Rind caused her neurological “event”.

No, I have no proof that “Brie Rind” was causal, nor will I do the experiment to find out.

No, I can’t in any way say that it is proven that dogs do poorly on Brie.

Yet I’ve fed her all the other things in her diet for the lat month with zero issue. Yet today, she is her old self again and the only thing changed is “No Brie”.

Could it be some unrelated dog illness? Sure. But the Malti-Poo has had no issues and rejected the Brie rind.

For me, it’s enough proof that something in the mold in the rind of Brie cheese is problematic for dogs. Just not going to chance it again. She loves Mozzarella string cheese, Edam, Gouda, cheddar, Mexican Mix, American, provolone, etc. etc. all with zero problems. We always have one or more of them in the fridge. I’ll give her those and either “shit can” the Brie rinds or eat them myself (since us monkeys seem nonreactive..)

I sat up most of the night, dog in lap, giving occasional water via an eye dropper squirting it into her mouth, while she hung on and recovered. Soaked up two “Piddle ‘accidents'” on the carpet as she recovered enough to pee again (and treated them with ammonia and… and…) without complaint or repremand. I think her brain was a bit twigged out…

I’m just glad that, today, she is back to her bright eyed and active self. 48 hours of hell, gone now.

So just remember: Brie for thee and not for thy dog.

Subscribe to feed

About E.M.Smith

A technical managerial sort interested in things from Stonehenge to computer science. My present "hot buttons' are the mythology of Climate Change and ancient metrology; but things change...
This entry was posted in Food, Human Interest. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Do NOT feed Brie Cheese to Dogs!

  1. YMMV says:

    No alcohol, no chocolate, no THC, no macadamia nuts, no ice cream, and now no brie. It’s a dog’s life.

  2. Nabrid says:

    Also, no grapes, raisins or fruitcake

  3. Paul, Somerset says:

    I think it’s the quantity of fat in brie which might be the problem. Combine that with the volume of scraps offered to such a small dog, and you quickly overload their digestive system.They just don’t handle fat as well as we do, and in my experience they handle it less well the older they get. When they’re young, a dog’s usual system for selecting what’s edible (scoff anything, and puke up what what you shouldn’t) no longer works.

    On the other hand, that doesn’t explain why your poodle rejected it completely.

    I find it hard to believe that any bacteria are a problem for a dog, bearing in mind the relish with which mine consumes cat droppings, cowpats and horse dung. But I’m not a vet, so I’m happy to be proven wrong.

  4. philjourdan says:

    Don’t feed dogs chocolate either. When straying from meat and taters, best to consult a vet. Chocolate is poison for cats as well. But since they do not have a sweet tooth like dogs, they avoid it in any event.

  5. Pinroot says:

    Hops (as in beer) is also bad for dogs, so even though I have no dogs (just cats) I always make sure to put my spent hops somewhere that animals can’t get to them after I brew a batch (which I haven’t done in a while).

    Cats are just as bad though. I’m constantly searching for “can cats have X?” just to be safe, and I won’t give them anything I know will hurt a dog, even if it might not hurt a cat. I recently found out you shouldn’t use Neosporin around a cat’s eyes, but it’s ok everywhere else. That’s nice since we have a cat that likes to play with snakes and gets bit from time to time.

  6. Graeme No.3 says:

    Pinroot:
    Cats are very susceptible to paraAcetamol.

    Dogs eat carrots, potatoes etc. if in a left-over meat stew. They also eat grapes (several family dogs over the years). One (fox terrier) devoured most of a pineapple left on the car seat (because the dog wouldn’t touch it). Dog lived for years afterwards and died at 15.

  7. philjourdan says:

    I had a dog that would eat anything our child (we had the dog before the oldest was born) would feed it from the table! When she ran out of green peas and such, she would shred her napkin and feed it to him! And he ate it!

    One day, we left a tub of butter on the table when we went off to work. When we returned home, he had eaten the entire tub (a 1lb one). And crapped (diarrhea) all over the house!!! He never ate butter after that, but it took us days to clean the house!

  8. another ian says:

    Re YMMV

    “No alcohol, no chocolate, no THC, no macadamia nuts, no ice cream, and now no brie. It’s a dog’s life.”

    No ivermectin either of collie flavour

  9. another ian says:

    Oops! “If of collie flavour”

  10. YMMV says:

    @another ian, good point. We talk about how useful and safe IVM is, but there are exceptions. Such as Collies and other herding dogs, which have a mutation which makes it dangerous (at certain doses). Key words: “Blood Brain Barrier”
    https://www.goddardvetgroup.co.uk/blog/why-shouldnt-my-collie-have-ivermectin-wormers/
    https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=154455&id=4951400
    https://vetmeds.org/pet-poison-control-list/ivermectin/

    But for humans, how long before the general public catches on that they have been had?

    (video discusses IVM in Mexico, Peru, India)

Anything to say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.